[xsl] Re: When is a variable a nodeset and when isn't it?

Subject: [xsl] Re: When is a variable a nodeset and when isn't it?
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:28:26 +0200
String and node-set are different datatypes in XPath -- a string cannot be
used where a node-set is expected.

Therefore:

      /x/y/'someString'/z

is illegal.

So is:

    /x/y/$someVariable/z

Try using:

   /x/y/*[name() = $someVariableContainingAString]/z

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

<Simon.Fairey@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Had a look through the past posts and a few mentioned similar things but
> I'm still a tad confused.
>
> Given:
> <xsl:template match="/all">
>         <xsl:variable name="root" select="/all/data/town"/>
>         <xsl:for-each
select="$root/climate|$root/transportation|$root/tourism">