Re: [xsl] read/write in the same xml file

Subject: Re: [xsl] read/write in the same xml file
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:48:49 -0400
At 11:04 AM 6/11/2003, you wrote:
Abbouh, as Wendell pointed out, XSLT treats with nodes, not tags. I suppose it
possible that one could trick up the stylesheet to work with strings returned by
local-name() to correct the offset, but I think it is fair to say that any
solution using XSLT would be very brittle.

Not only that, but if Abbouh is interested in offsets in the result (the output file), not the source ... it's even worse. It would be quite a trick for an XSLT stylesheet to know where a given string *will* be when a tree is serialized....

Cheers,
Wendell

    "Thus I make my own use of the telegraph, without consulting
     the directors, like the sparrows, which I perceive use it
     extensively for a perch." -- Thoreau