RE: [xsl] entity output

Subject: RE: [xsl] entity output
From: "Passin, Tom" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:16:19 -0400
[Craig Kattner]

> The output of this is:
> Spring Wound "Bypass" Timers
>

> But what I need is:
> Spring Wound &quot;Bypass&quot; Timers
>
> I'm using MSXML4 for this. I've tried translate(), but not
> surprisingly, it doesn't work. Is there anyway I can get the
> output here to have the entity encoded quote (&quot;) instead
> of just a plain quote (")?

Why do you need the & q u o t ; entity?  Your output is perfectly legal
HTML as it stands.  Now, if you asked for the attribute value to become
the value of an attribute in your output, the serializer __would__
escape it with entities - if, for example, you added this to your
template -

<x att='{@attr}'/>

The result is

<x att="Spring Wound &quot;Bypass&quot; Timers">

No standard serilaizer is likely to give you entities when it is not
necessary to do escaping.

Cheers,

Tom P