RE: RE: [xsl] grouping by unique...

Subject: RE: RE: [xsl] grouping by unique...
From: Chris Loschen <loschen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:43:24 -0400
At 12:12 PM 6/19/03, you wrote:
[ Michael Kay]

> > To my esteemed British correspondents: Could you please
> > explain why the English name "Featherstone" is pronounced "Fanshaw"?
>
> I think you mean "Featherstonehaugh".
>
> If you were called that, how would you pronounce it?
>
> I don't know the explanation in this case. With place names, the usual
> reason for a disconnect between the spelling and the pronunciation is
> that the spelling evolved among those who could read and write, the
> pronunciation among those who couldn't.

Well. here is the US in the state of Massachusetts, we have the city of
Worcester, pronounced more or less as "Wooster".  I  have always assumed
that that would be the pronuciation in England, too, but I have never
heard it spoken by someone from there.

Cheers,

Tom P

In my Shakespeare studies, "Worcester" in Henry IV, Part 1 is always pronounced
as we pronounce the name of the city here in Massachusetts. Similarly, "Gloucester"
in King Lear is pronounced "Gloster." Also see "Worcestershire sauce."

Off-topic I know, but still fun... Shall we start talking about GB Shaw's attempts
to reform orthography?

--Chris

Texterity ~ XML and PDF ePublishing Services
Chris Loschen, XML Developer
Texterity, Inc.
144 Turnpike Road
Southborough, MA 01772 USA