RE: [xsl] xsl:number problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:number problem
From: "Yan, Charlene" <Charlene.Yan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:54:00 -0400
I'm not sure you understand what xsl:number is doing. Could you paraphrase
it for me? If you're not absolutely sure about it, it's something to look
up. (Many resources are available, including Google.)

<xsl:template match="productId">
>      <gmr:Cell Col="0" ValueType="60">
>       <xsl:variable name="rownumber"><xsl:number level="any"
> count="productId"/></xsl:variable>
>       <xsl:attribute name="Row">
>          <xsl:value-of select="$rownumber"/>
>       </xsl:attribute>
>        <gmr:Content>
>                 <xsl:apply-templates/>
>         </gmr:Content>
>      </gmr:Cell>
>   </xsl:template>
Here xsl:number is counting all the productId in the tree.  Having or not having "//" in front of productId is not making a difference because I start from the root node here.  The result of <xsl:number/> is the value of variable $rownumber.  It is set as the value of attribute Row.  <xsl:apply-templates/> will put the actual productId's node value into the cell.  It is doing a loop here.  The results is
1 ==> in Cell 1
2 ==> in Cell 2
3 ==> in Cell 3
4 ==> in Cell 4
5 ==> in Cell 5

I use xsl:number here becuase it worked perfectly based on my old requirements.  I use count(//productId) in some other places to get the total number productIds in the tree.  However, client is requiring that only NETg and Wave products should be displayed.  That is why I need to add publisher='NETg'...  I did do some reading on xPath already...  Anyway, it seems that count="productId[publisher='NETg' or publisher='Wave']" is not doing what I want.  I just have to dig in more.
The problem is, in your last statement where you say "this is where I do
the loop" -- you're not. XSLT doesn't do loops. It makes me suspect you
believe xsl:number is doing something different from what it's actually
doing. Also, I note you didn't copy the XPath I offered accurately. It
should be

count="productId[publisher='NETg' or publisher='Wave']"

not

count="//productId[publisher='NETg' or publisher='Wave']"

although I don't believe fixing it will help (it might speed up your
process by a microsecond or two).

Also, note you still haven't figured out how to show us the XML output of
your transform. (Sorry, a screen scrape from Excel just doesn't cut it.)
Without seeing this your problem is more or less impossible to diagnose.
(One is tempted to say "completely impossible", except members of this list
have demonstrated psychic powers in the past.)
if I use xml serializer to transform it.  It ooutputs the exact xml I put in.  It helps if you can try it in Cocoon.  I am using Cocoon 2.1M2.  If you go to http://localhost:8080/cocoon/samples/stream/order and paste my xml in there.  Submit it will get to the serialized xml.  If you change the transform xsl in the sitemap under stream to my xsl, you will see the exact output.

Well, it is kind of hard to use different tools (xslt, poi, Cocoon StreamGenerator) and explain them clearly.

THANKS for your help.

Regards,

Charlene
Please show us your output XML if you want someone to look at your problem.
Also, you may find list members less eager to help if it becomes clear
you're coming to us without doing your homework.

PS:  I did do a lot of homework before I ask the question.:))

Good luck,
Wendell