[xsl] Re: Selecting nodes by attribute value

Subject: [xsl] Re: Selecting nodes by attribute value
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:44:41 +0200
"Noelle" <ng302@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:002701c33e71$c96b8800$d3184e98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For some reason I can't seem to select a specific node by the value of a
> specified attribute, despite the fact that this is one of the basic things
> described in any tutorial or reference on XSLT.  When I use the format:

> <xsl:apply-templates select="element[@attributename=attributevalue]"/>

This will select an "element" that has attribute "attributename", whose
value is the same as the child of "element" named "attributevalue"

Most probably you wanted:

   <xsl:apply-templates select="element[@attributename='attributevalue']"/>

Note the single quotes surrounding "attributevalue"

You cannot use double quotes, as nesting of quotes is not allowed -- the
first nested quote will actually close the left outer quote.

This is why you're getting errors when you surround "attributevalue" in
double-quotes.

> I couldn't find an answer in the archives or elsewhere, so I'd really
> appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. I wouldn't be surprised if
I'd
> just missed out on something simple (that they don't tend to include in
the
> examples because they assume people know it already), since I've only just
> started learning this.

Yes, you missed something so simple, that it was not mentioned in the
archives.

Perhaps reading a good introductory XSLT book will help.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.