Re: [xsl] select in the <xsl:param /> tag

Subject: Re: [xsl] select in the <xsl:param /> tag
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 16:44:53 +0100
Hi Simon,

> Am I right in saying that declaring the <xsl:param /> tag as follows
> will make the named node set default to null if the template is
> called without the <xsl:with-param /> tag.
>
> <xsl:param name="node-set" select=".." />

There's no such thing as "null" in XPath. The above <xsl:param> will
make the $node-set parameter default to the parent of the context node
at the point the template is called. Probably you meant:

  <xsl:param name="node-set" select="/.." />

which makes it default to an empty node set (since the root node, /,
doesn't have a parent).

> or is it
>
> <xsl:param name="node-set" select="" />

This is a syntax error: the select attribute contains an XPath
expression and "" is not a legal XPath expression.

Note that if you omit the select attribute (and don't have any content
in <xsl:param>) then the default value for the parameter is an empty
string.

Cheers,

Jeni

---