Re: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Step

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Step
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:19:32 +0100
> Don't you think it should be better considered as a next step
> processing for presentation purposes?

You'll find that many uses of XSLT are unrelated to presentation (or not
directly related) one explict use case in the design of XSLT was the
generation of XSLT stylesheets. So program manipulation was always part
of the picture.

We generate a lot of C code wih XSLT (from its documentation) helps to
make sure documentation and code are in sync.

I would hate to see transformational logic tied up in imperative
programming languages, and if you are looking for a declarative language
with good support for manipulating markup, dsssl and xslt are two
obvious contenders. xslt is far more popular than dsssl, for many
reasons, although pointy brackets being more popular than round ones
is one of them.

I can't understand why you are trying to limit the scope of the
language.

David