RE: Is XML a Language? (was RE: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Ste p)

Subject: RE: Is XML a Language? (was RE: [xsl] XSLT Architecture: Next Ste p)
From: Bill Cohagan <bill.cohagan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:15:32 -0500
Didier says:

...Thinking about this subject this week end, I even more strongly believe
that
a meta language like XML is not a language per se but a structure used to
create a language....

This argument could go on forever since clearly we are talking about
differenct concepts of "language". I am taking the (Computer Science) formal
language definition while you are apparently talking about a linguistic
approach; i.e., "natural language". Obviously if we're talking about
different concepts we're unlikely to come to agreement on a common
"defintion". XML is most definitely a Context Free Language specified by a
Context Free Grammar. It is also definitely NOT a natural language.

BTW, I never actually saw my most recent post (the original "Is XML a
Language?" post) although I've seen several responses to it (based on the
"RE: Is XML..." subject line. Did my post actually appear? It's the one in
which I referenced Aho, Sethi, et al. as well as the w3c specification of
XML. I also asked: "What's the "L" in XML?"

That I've received no response from Didier on this post also makes me wonder
if it somehow wandered into the ether.

Regards,
 Bill