RE: [xsl] Displaying a combination of text and child nodes

Subject: RE: [xsl] Displaying a combination of text and child nodes
From: "Lars Huttar" <lars_huttar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:09:16 -0500
Karen,

> The xml is (I have just pulled out a few lines):
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <doxygen>
> <compounddef>
> <codelisting>
> <programlisting>
> 	<codeline lineno="1">

> The xsl I am using is:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!-- Code listing for a nominated function.  -->
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
> xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
> 	<xsl:template match="/">
> 					<xsl:for-each
> select="doxygen/compounddef/programlisting/codeline">

For one thing, maybe this is just an
artifact of how you excerpted your XML, but the way you show it,
the path to <codeline> is
  /doxygen/compounddef/codelisting/programlisting/codeline
whereas your <xsl:foreach> says
   select="doxygen/compounddef/programlisting/codeline"
In other words, "codelisting/" is missing.

> <xsl:for-each select="highlight">

This isn't what you asked about, but probably instead of the above
you want to use an Attribute Value Template:

Much more pleasant, isn't it?  :-)

> Doesn't seem to matter what I do here, I can get the whole
> text, ignoring sp elements, or I can get the first sp element, -->
>                                                   <!-- or I
> can get the first text element only, depending on what I do  -->
>                                                   <!-- I have
> tried xsl:for-each loops, I've tried matching templates, but
> I still can't seem to get it to work.  -->

Did you try <xsl:for-each select="*|text()"> ?

* will select child element nodes, and text() will select child text
nodes. Unioned together with "|", you get both.
Or maybe you want <xsl:for-each select="sp|text()">.

Another alternative would be to use apply-templates:
 <xsl:apply-templates select="*|text()" />
Then you could create a template for processing <sp>s,
another for text nodes, another for <ref>s, etc.

(If you were trying <xsl:value-of ...> without a <xsl:for-each>,
that would be why you only got the first element or text node;
<xsl:value-of select="nodeset"/> converts only the *first* node
in nodeset into a string.)

HTH,
Lars