RE: [xsl] using a variable in sort block

Subject: RE: [xsl] using a variable in sort block
From: "Greg Johnson" <gjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:16:38 -0400
Thank you for the reply.

>As long as you don't try to use the string value as an XPath expression.

This means that I could not provide a path to my var, such as "SENDER/NAME"
instead of "ARRIVED" which is why you have compared the name() of the
currrent element with my variable in the example below.  This is the only
way to be able to sort the list using variables, correct?

ex: <xsl:sort select="*[name(.)=$sortby]" order="{$sortorder}"/>

I guess that's too bad.  I would have liked to be able to use variables for
XPath expressions.

Also:
I'm trying out XMLSpy and it gives me an error: "Unexpected Value" at the
above line.
Using IE6 and MSXML4 I do not get any errors.  I guess that means that
XMLSpy just isn't handling the variable correctly?  Or is MSXML not
reporting an error that it should?  Which is better software to use?