Re: [xsl] preserve structure of xml?

Subject: Re: [xsl] preserve structure of xml?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:35:09 +0100

> transformation I lose all structure

By "structure" here I assume you mean white space used for indenting
rather than (as I thought you menat originally) teh etree structure of
teh XML markup (as in "structured documents").

By default, all white space (and any other characters) in the source
file will be copied to the output.

So your stylesheet is removing that spacing, but since you didnn't show
any of it how can we guess?

  I remembered something about using
  <xsl:text>
  </xsl:text>
  for making an empty line, but it didn't work.

That doesn't make an  empty line it makes a line brek, if you want an
empty line (ie two line breaks with not text) putan empty line in there.
Of course, whether or not thatmakes any difference when you view the
file depends on what you use to view it (for example an html viewer will
display empty lines as a single space most of the time.

> I am using msxml for transformation.

which has some well known non-conformance issues with regard to white
space handling.
If you are calling the parser from script you can set its
preserveWhitespace propoerty to true which makes it slightly more
conformant, see the msxml docs.

David