Re: [xsl] Sorting and re-ordering down a hierarchy

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting and re-ordering down a hierarchy
From: David Ohlemacher <ohlemacher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:18:30 -0400
Hi Chris,

Sorry, I have no help. I tried to do this and failed. I finally reevaluated the tool (DAML/XSLT Adapter <http://www.daml.org/tools/#damlxslt>) that generated my self-referencing data, and tossed it. I found Perl, operating on the DAML data directly, was SO much simpler. Also the tool's author was not helpful.

After a wasted week of learning XSL (it was a waste for me, no flames please), it took me about 4 hours to write this in Perl. The tool made the work more difficult since it "introduced" the self referencing. The DAML was simpler.

Guten Tag,
-d

Cole, Chris wrote:

Hello,
I'm struggling to re-organise my node tree.
My tree is something like this:

<input>
<node>
   <rank>2</rank>
   <node>
       <rank>88</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>7</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>66</rank>
   </node>
</node>
<node>
   <rank>1</rank>
   <node>
       <rank>3</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>2</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>1</rank>
   </node>
</node>
</input>

I need to reorganise the nodes so that they are organised in number order
down the nodes within their tree, so the output should be like this:
<output>
<node>
   <rank>1</rank>
   <node>
       <rank>7</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>66</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>88</rank>
   </node>
</node>
<node>
   <rank>2</rank>
   <node>
       <rank>1</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>2</rank>
   </node>
   <node>
       <rank>3</rank>
   </node>
</node>
</output>
I can sort one level by using the code below, but I'm struggling to find a
way to re-order the second level within the first level (and the third level
later).

<xsl:template match="/input">
 <xsl:call-template name="ascending-numeric-sort-l1">
   <xsl:with-param name="seqnuml1" select="node/rank"/>
 </xsl:call-template>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="ascending-numeric-sort-l1">
 <xsl:param name="seqnuml1"/>
 <xsl:for-each select="$seqnuml1">
   <xsl:sort select="." data-type="number" order="ascending"/>
   <xsl:copy-of select="parent::node()"/>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

Can anybody offer any advice please?