Re: [xsl] inheritance and encapsulation in xslt? / xslt for xlink?

Subject: Re: [xsl] inheritance and encapsulation in xslt? / xslt for xlink?
From: Howard Stearns <stearns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:01:41 -0400
I didn't follow how this would work any number of levels deep.

It's ok if we only have us-gaap-ci-2html.xsl doing the basic transformations, and a CSS stylesheet based on @class to handle things that need to be different. Very cute.

But in fact ci is part of us-gaap which is part of the basic financial reporting taxonomy. Acme Corp may have many operating levels (subsidiaries, divisions, etc.). There may be more industry specific levels between us-gaap-ci and individual companies like Acme. A stylesheet any of these levels should be able to define behavior that applies to all the more specific levels.

I'm not very familiar with real CSS, and maybe there's a way to inherit behavior. But I would guess the inheritance behavior would have to be generated somehow. How would CSS know which elements (which @classes) inherit from each other?

Besides, I actually want the .xsl to be generating results for conformance testing. It won't necessarilly be XHTML output subject to CSS.

Robert Koberg wrote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; xmlns:lsb="http://livestoryboard.com/lsb/schemas/2003/03/config"; xmlns:c="http://livestoryboard.com/lsb/schemas/2003/03/content"; exclude-result-prefixes="c lsb">

<xsl:template match="c:*">
<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

This can get modified as needed, but it covers most (of our) needs. You
would then handle your unique look and feel through CSS. Of course this type
of thing just moves the problem somewhere else, but it is much easier for a
client to deal with CSS than XSL.