solved: [xsl] Re: adding space in xslt and trimming last space in java-problem

Subject: solved: [xsl] Re: adding space in xslt and trimming last space in java-problem
From: remko de knikker <remko.deknikker@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:02:35 -0400

This finally did it:

<xsl:template match="*">
    <xsl:for-each select="//ns1:genbankid">
    <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    <xsl:if test="not(position() = last())">
 	<xsl:text> </xsl:text>
    </xsl:if>
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

The web service I am calling
call.setTargetEndpointAddress( new java.net.URL("http://www.ebi.ac.uk:80/cgi-bin/xembl/XEMBL-SOAP.pl";) );
call.setOperationName(new QName("http://www.ebi.ac.uk/XEMBL";, "getNucSeq") );

does not allow for any other space format.

thanks all.

"remko de knikker" <remko.deknikker@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3F15AE13.7040209@xxxxxxxxxxx > situation: > > I have an XML-file that contains a sequence of ids. I need to transform > this to a String of space separated ids. > So I transform the xml to a text file and after each id-node I add a > space, like this: > > <xsl:template match="*"> > <xsl:for-each select="//ns1:genbankid"> > <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>&#xa0;</xsl:for-each> > </xsl:template>

A number of observations:

1. You have put inside a template matching every element code that does not
depend on the current node. It may be executed several times and this is a
mistake.

2. & # x a 0 ; without the intervening spaces is a character reference for
the so-called "non-breaking space" -- it has nothing to do with the space
character.

3. Your problem is artificial and it must be eliminated in your XSLT code --
no need to call an extension function.

Add code, which tests if the position of the current node in the node-list
is not the last -- only then output your whateverSpace character.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.