Re: [xsl] Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...

Subject: Re: [xsl] Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...
From: Elizabeth Barham <lizzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 20:27:04 -0500
Mike writes:

> Does this have *anything* to do with XSLT?  If not, it does not
> belong on this list.

I'm sorry Mike. I read this particular thread:

http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200102/msg00825.html

and since it is similar in scope and no qualms were raised about it
then, I assumed asking this question to this list would be okay.

> Please read up on character encoding, what a character reference is,
> and what an entity reference is. You seem to be confused about them.

> As for why the behavior changed when you changed JDKs, it's probably
> because some code you haven't shown us is relying on a platform
> default encoding somewhere.

> As for why "?" or its bytewise equivalent in some encoding might
> appear in an encoded byte stream or Unicode string, it's because
> some codecs, such as Java's, will replace unencodable characters or
> undecodable bytes with a question mark.

Is it possible to bypass this mechanism? I would like to pass a byte
into Java and not have it modified in anyway.

But, I *do* have an XSLT question to ask as and addendum. What is the
best way to drive the xml input of an XSLT formatter from inside a
java class?

For example, let us say that I have an XSLT stylesheet that is set up
to expect a certain format, and I have a java class whose data I would
like to have processed by said stylesheet. It seems a waste to make a
and then pass it into the transformer since it would be possible to
generate the SAX events from within the Java class.

Looking at javax.xml.parsers.SAXParser, I notice the parse() function,
but those seem to be dealing with incoming streams and not events.

Thank you,
Elizabeth