Re: [xsl] XHTML to PDF

Subject: Re: [xsl] XHTML to PDF
From: "Mike Haarman" <mhaarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:04:04 -0500
> Thanks very much for the thoughtful response.  My take-home message there
> is that the methods are maturing to the point where the transformations
> are now, at least, possible, but the HTML/XHTML variations mean that the
> results of transforming to PDF are mixed at best.  The cost/benefit ratio
> isn't where it needs to be.

Sean,

The transformations have always been possible.  The problem of poorly structured
web markup is really only the surface issue.  Because the layout requirements
are so disparate, despite superficial commonalities, it is quite reasonable to
target each output separately.  It is possible to maintain common properties in
imported xsl:attribute-set(s) or CSS classes.

The more common pattern here is for a domain-specific, back-end markup regime to
be transformed to a particular client render or transmission markup (XHTML, WML,
FO, service framework).  The in-house markup can be a major, public schema like
Docbook or TEI, an industry-specific initiative, or completely home-cooked and
as simple as your semantic requirements allow.  I can't speak to the desire to
drive transformations via JSP.  I typically use a controller servlet to mediate
views, ala MVC.

hth,

Mike