RE: [xsl] passing external parameter to template match

Subject: RE: [xsl] passing external parameter to template match
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:21:35 +0100
> Hi,
>     I wanted to send an external paramater to the the template to
> dynamic matching
>         <xsl:param name="element" select="'default'"/>
>         <xsl:template match="{$element}">
> but I get a TransformerException Error : illegal tokens $
> is there a better way to dynamically populate the 'match' attribute of
> template??

All template matches are fixed and cannot be constructed at runtime.  If
you want to have truly dynamic template matching check out Demtire's

The usual way of handling cases when the number of possible outcomes for
the variable are known, is to have:

<xsl:template name="foo">
  <xsl:param name="$element"/>
    <xsl:when test="$element=" ...">...</xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="$element=" ...">...</xsl:when>

and so on for each possible value of $element.

Other ways include using the vendor:evaluate() extension function, or to
construct a stylesheet from a stylesheet where the match attributes of
the second stylesheet are constructed by the first.