RE: [xsl] Header/Footer asking.

Subject: RE: [xsl] Header/Footer asking.
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:09:28 +0100
> Hi!
> I would like to use a header/footer into an HTML  report which is
maded in
> XSL from a XML.
> Anybody know a way of how should I do that ?

HTML doesn't know about headers and footers, so I think you are out of
luck.  If your data is repetitive you could use CSS2's page-break-before
and page-break-after with some nifty xslt... but it's unlikely your data
will fit.

It is possible to 'hack' the windows registry to put in your own headers
on anything that gets printed, but if your app/computer crashes and
doesn't delete your custom header and footer, then anything that gets
printed from that machine will have them too (of course until you app is
closed cleanly :)

Ultimately I think the only way to go about this is to use xsl:fo to
pdf.  I think Im about to embark on a similar project, and I can forsee
dual maintenance issues.  I wonder how common it is to have xslt->html
for screen and xsl:fo->pdf for printing, and any probems that have
arisen?

cheers
andrew