Re: [xsl] basic math functions: problem with substraction result (newbie question)

Subject: Re: [xsl] basic math functions: problem with substraction result (newbie question)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:54:45 +0100

> I would need the result of $var1 - $var2 to be = 2.2, as expected

you should _never_ expect exact results when doing numerical
calculations on a computer. A binary machine can not store
either of your input numbers, 2.4 and 0.2 nor your requested result of
2.2 exactly, it can only store an approximation. (For the same reason
that a base 10 system as we usually use can not store one third exactly
You can only have 0.3333333333... to any finite precision that you want
but you can not store a finite base 10 representation of a third.

Similarly in base two arithmetic you can't represent one fifth exactly.

If you want to show the number rounded to fewer decimal places, then use
the format-number() function.

David