Re: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to close html tags : link, meta,...
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:20:29 +0100
> That is my reading of the spec, please someone tell me if I am wrong.

It could be read that way but I'm sure that wasn't teh intention.
the sentence you quoted

> All elements other than those declared in the DTD as EMPTY must have
> an end tag.

Is preceded by the sentences

> In SGML-based HTML 4 certain elements were permitted to omit the end
> tag; with the elements that followed implying closure. XML does not
> allow end tags to be omitted.

So I think it is clear in context that this is an instruction telling
you you can't do
<li>llll
<li>222
<li>cccc

as you can in html and have the </li> tags infered by the parser.

It isn't intended to outlaw <div/>

This only appears in xhtml1.0 text anyway so the situation is clearer
for xhtml-modularisation and so xhtml 1.1.

> Good.  Well lets have the option to generate BOTH notations,

Actually I can't see how such an option would help much.
An xhtml1 output method that output everything according to the
compatibility appendix would help, but an option to control
individual elements wouldn't help much, you wouldn't want to globally
output all elements as <foo></foo> as then img and br would break and
soesn't seem any easier to type, and architechturally a lot more fragile
than
which works today.

> Because 90+% of the worlds uses IE.
And IE works fine, and uses quite a good XML parser if you sent
it xhtml files as xml mime type with a one-line stylesheet.

You only have a problem if you send it xml as html.

David