Re: [xsl] CDATA within a CDATA

Subject: Re: [xsl] CDATA within a CDATA
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:21:19 +0100
  I am using two transformations to render html from xml.
  The first converts source xml to xsl-fo and the second uses
  the venerable fo2html.xsl (credit to Nikolai Grigoriev of Renderx)
  to convert to the final target.

Unless you are using the FO for some other purpose, that's a very
strange route to take, you'd expect to get a better transformation going
straight from your source to html, as you have to lose a lot of semantic
information going to FO.

  I tried the obvious thing but that is a syntax error ...

What is teh obvious thing rather depends on who it is, so I can't
actually guess what error this was.

  What do I insert in the source to get
  <![CDATA[<style type="text/css">body {margin: 3em}</style>]]>
  to render in the fo?

If you only want the FO as an intermediate stage then you can keep the
FO having this as a string, but modify your FO generator to
add some namespaced attribute (any attribute of your choice) to the
containing fo:block then you can add a template to your html generating
stylesheet that matches fo:blocks with this attribute and uses
disable-output-encoding="yes" to put out the content as literal HTML.

If you actually want your first stylesheet to style the FO based on that
literal fragment of css-in-html, so that if you print teh FO directly
rather than convert to HTML then it has that margin  you have a much
harder job.

David