[xsl] Problem with control character

Subject: [xsl] Problem with control character
From: FranklinChen@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:23:45 -0400
I have encountered a truly annoying problem.  The enclosed stylesheet
does not work (with Xalan-J 2.5.1 or various other XSLT processors)
because apparently  is not a valid character for XML 1.0 (though
it will be allowed in 1.1).  Now, I have a large stylesheet that is
used to transform XML to text, and I need to output this character!
Is there any pure XSLT workaround for my problem, or do I have output
something like "JUNK" and have a (non-XSLT) script postprocess the
text to replace that with the required control character?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

  <xsl:output method="text" encoding="UTF-8"/>

  <xsl:template match="/">
    Output &#21; character.
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>