Re: [xsl] Landscape print control

Subject: Re: [xsl] Landscape print control
From: "Mike Haarman" <mhaarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:37:26 -0500
From: "Wendell Piez" <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In principle, this is an excellent idea (hey, the more layers the better,
> right? ;-); in practice you'd find that your "lowest common denominator"
> between print and web would be ... pretty low.

True.  But it is manageable with some effort.  The payoff is not so much the
concert between web and print properties as the abstraction layer between the
dataheads and the webheads, shared base properties like font or color is gravy.
That and the huge presentation stylesheets and includes are instantiated at
startup and shared.  The many, distinct first-stage stylesheets are small,
tight, easily understood and only fired when needed.

> Going in the opposite direction ... how about an honest FO browser? Or an
> FO formatter that outputs SVG?

Interestingly, my last project involved some pretty hairy multicolored
histograms.  The web view was essentially JavaScript building the images on the
client and I wrote stylesheet to produce SVG for the Batik library in FOP on the
print reports.  Not yet enough consistent support to rely on SVG at the browser.
That was two separate stylesheets, of course.

Seems like we've been saying someday on the browser for, what, 5 years now?

Mike