Re: [xsl] formatting xml output: inserting newlines between generated attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] formatting xml output: inserting newlines between generated attributes
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:23:11 -0400
Abie,

Invoking multiple transformations....

At 03:12 PM 9/10/2003, you wrote:
1) what do you mean by 'if you do it right'? are there any guidelines related to this?
2) running transformations in multiple stages is obviously doable, and for me its almost necessary. but I'm wondering, what scale of stage-multiplicity is reasonable w/ xsl? - ie 5 transforms, 20, 60, 1000?

These are very reasonable questions, to which the answer is the generic consultant's "it depends". On what? On your operating environment, tools, and actual requirements, naturally.

Actually, pipelining tranformations is not only a powerful processing methodology, but it's increasingly supported in a range of XML environments and toolkits. The wave of the future, it seems. They all have different ways of optimizing, by avoiding serialization/parsing (passing either events or objects instead) and other nifty methods (some no doubt proprietary).

I know I haven't answered your question specifically, but that's because (a) I don't know the specifics (what's your platform? language? functional and operational requirements?), and (b) even if I did, I'd send you to a (Java | Perl | Python | C++ | .NET) expert, who could certainly give you better answers than I can.

(incidentally, I hope I'm reading my situation right as almost necessitating multiplicity. my problem is that I want to construct a tree and be able to use the collection devices of xpath on it, eg child::, count(), etc.. my understanding is that this feature is not in xsl 1.0 but it will be in 2.0 - is this right?)

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you're talking about XPath support without XSLT -- yes, that's available too. If you're talking about performing XPath queries over the results of your transform within XSLT, the answer is also yes -- it's even available within XSLT 1.0 if you use a node-set() extension function. In XSLT 2.0 it'll be transparent.

Cheers,
Wendell