Re: [xsl] formatting xml output: inserting newlines between generated attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] formatting xml output: inserting newlines between generated attributes
From: "Abie Hamaoui" <ahama5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:01:01 +0000
wendell,

(incidentally, I hope I'm reading my situation right as almost necessitating multiplicity. my problem is that I want to construct a tree and be able to use the collection devices of xpath on it, eg child::, count(), etc.. my understanding is that this feature is not in xsl 1.0 but it will be in 2.0 - is this right?)

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you're talking about XPath support without XSLT -- yes, that's available too. If you're talking about performing XPath queries over the results of your transform within XSLT, the answer is also yes -- it's even available within XSLT 1.0 if you use a node-set() extension function. In XSLT 2.0 it'll be transparent.

I can use all the normal retrieval and counting mechanisms that I use on the source document?
- like: <xsl:apply-templates select="node-set($tree)/form[@name='form1']/control"/>
?

I have been reluctant to use extension functions b/c I didn't want to base my design on things that are vendor dependant and that could possibly not be there even for the same vendor in the next release.
do you think this need not be a concern

abie