Re: [xsl] Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules

Subject: Re: [xsl] Authority For Western Line Breaking Rules
From: Jeff Kenton <jkenton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:33:48 -0400
W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
Strunk and White's _Elements of Style_ is another key authority on English-language writing style. It defines exactly the rules I expected:

http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#8

I suspect that this is about as authoritative as we will find.

There are more detailed guidelines, used by hyphenation software and documented in various places. And then there are pairs of words with identical spellings, but different pronunciation and hyphenation requirements. re-cord (the verb) and rec-ord (the noun) come to mind. There's even a name for these, though I've forgotten it. No cure in that case short of grammatical analysis.