[xsl] Relation between Memory /Time Problem and OS ??

Subject: [xsl] Relation between Memory /Time Problem and OS ??
From: Dipesh Khakhkhar <dkhakhkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:13:15 -0400
Hi,

I have written some xsl, the snippet of which i have posted it with the thread
"CallStack overflow error "

I am not sure whether this question will appear silly to many but I observed
this situation.

My input file is of 6.09 MB and I ran the xsl on two different OS and was
surprised with the result. Here are the result.

Time on Windows XP Desktop System with P3 Processor and 512 RAM

Source document load time:     2198 milliseconds
Stylesheet document load time: 7.545 milliseconds
Stylesheet compile time:       18.70 milliseconds
Stylesheet execution time:     4379 milliseconds

Time on Windows 2000 Server System with P3 Processor and 1.5 GB RAM

Source document load time:     0 milliseconds
Stylesheet document load time: 27.01 milliseconds
Stylesheet compile time:       8.515 milliseconds
Stylesheet execution time:     0 milliseconds

I am using msxsl command line utility to run this.
Does msxsl depends on OS ? When i ran the same xsl on input xml file, it ran
and gave me the output immediately whereas when i ran it on Windows 2000
server it took long time and then gave me output. And the timing result were
as noted above.

When i ran a input file of 28 MB, i got Callstack overflow error on Windows XP
system and on the server it ran fine but I have to kill the process because it
was taking long time. It ran for 30 minutes and produced incomplete desired
output. It didn't gave me callStack overflow error. Further I observed the CPU
usage as zero for that process in the server when it was taking long time. Is
is the lapse time of CPU ? Or Do i have to increae priority of this process ?

Am i not able to figure out why this is happening ?

As pointed out, my code is inefficient but giving desired output. I am at the
sametime writing efficent code using grouping to do the same but stuck at few
places.

Anyone who has encountered such discrepancy (atleast for me) or know the
reason for such behavior please throw some light on this issue.

Eagerly waiting for reply.

Regards,
Dipesh