Re: [xsl] XSL:FO - How to wrap non-word strings in table cells?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL:FO - How to wrap non-word strings in table cells?
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:08:09 -0500
Jon Allen wrote:

I have long non-word string values in a table that are running off the page. Most of these values contain no spaces at all.
I would like them to wrap to the next line in the same cell, without inserting a hyphen or other character. Hyphenate="true" doesn't seem to apply here since the values are not real words.
It is not possible to predict the values.
Any advice on how to do this wrapping is greatly appreciated.

Different FO implementations behave differently, but in general, unless you provide break points using either zero-width spaces or soft hyphens, the renderer will not break the text for you because it really isn't licensed to do so, except possibly as an overflow fallback.

It would probably be useful for XSL FO implementations to provide some way to configure their behavior in these sorts of situations, but anything like that would be outside the scope of what the FO spec defines.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber