XSLT 2.0 dynamically parameterized output? Was: Re: [xsl] Trying to use Docbook transforms with Saxon7

Subject: XSLT 2.0 dynamically parameterized output? Was: Re: [xsl] Trying to use Docbook transforms with Saxon7
From: Bob Foster <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:25:39 -0500
Jirka Kosek wrote:
Recommended version of Saxon for DocBook XSL stylesheets is Saxon 6.5.x. DocBook stylesheets are written in XSLT 1.0 with lots of EXSLT and vendor dependant extensions. These extensions are not always available in Saxon7 as similar functionality is provided by XSLT 2.0.

Yes, I know and I had no trouble running the stylesheet in Saxon 6.5.2. But this doesn't help me get it running in Saxon 7.

The Doctype chunker.xsl stylesheet is using saxon:output, exsl:document, etc. for their ability to dynamically specify the output parameters with attribute value templates.

There seem to be two main differences between these extension instructions and xsl:output/xsl:result-document provided by XSLT 2.0:

1. xsl:output may only appear at the top level.
2. (Serious problem) none of xsl:output's attributes are specified in the syntax summary as allowing attribute value templates.

So what does one use in 2.0 when it is desired to dynamically calculate values of, e.g., doctype-system, media-type, etc.?

Bob Foster
http://www.xmlbuddy.com/