Re: [xsl] Count() elements in range

Subject: Re: [xsl] Count() elements in range
From: "M. David Peterson" <conners_dad@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 03:58:13 -0700
Chris,

After taking the time to read this over im a bit confused as to what node you are trying to get at to begin your count...

> count the number of <element> nodes in the tree starting from the
> last <element> or the last <element> whose following-sibling::element does
> not have a child <flag>.

Can you please clarify what it is exactly that you re looking for? In the following tree can you point out where you want to begin the count, which direction you want to go, and what nodes your do or dont want to include in the count?...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<root>
<!--start A series of 1 -->
<element number="A1">
<flag/>
</element>
<!-- start B series of 4 -->
<element number="B1">
<flag/>
</element>
<element  number="B2"/>
<element  number="B3"/>
<element  number="B4"/>
<!-- start C series of 2 -->
<element  number="C1">
<flag/>
</element>
<element  number="C2"/>
<!-- start D series of 3 -->
<element  number="D1">
<flag/>
</element>
<element  number="D2" />
<element  number="D3" />
</root>

You are right, it is just a simple XPath issue... but if you help me better understand what it is you want I can give a lot more help in writing the XPath.

Thanks!

M.