RE: RE: [xsl] variable binding

Subject: RE: RE: [xsl] variable binding
From: Shipra Dingare <sdingar1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:52:20 +0000 (GMT)
Charles Knell,

Thank you, that was very helpful. I thought it meant siblings of the
element being processed.

I figured out a workaround to do "leftmost daughter". It means the
daughter which is a leaf (has no children) and whose parents are only first
children of their parent. So in the example below the first word
element "the" is the leftmost daughter of ng.

Thanks a lot again. -Shipra

> >           <ng of='proteins' role='h'>
> >                 <nx head='targeting' role='h'>
> >                      <W index='92'>the</W>
> >                      <W role='h' index='93'>targeting</W>
> >                 </nx>
> >                      <W index='94'>of</W>
> >                 <nx head='proteins' role='k'>
> >                      <W index='95'>the</W>
> >                      <W index='96'>myosin</W>
> >                      <W role='h' index='97'>proteins</W>
> >                 </nx>
> >     </ng>

> I am confused by " ... I am trying to find the leftmost daughter of the element ng." XPath has no concept of left or right.
It has three (if we ignore the attribute axis) broad categories of axes: sibling axis, ancestor axis and descendant axis.

> Are you saying that you want to find an element that is a child of <ng>? XPath has a "child axis"
that is a kind of descendant axis that includes only those elements that are one level down from the parent element.