[xsl] Dealing without global counters

Subject: [xsl] Dealing without global counters
From: "Robert Ogden" <Robert.Ogden@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:24:50 -0600
I have done a bit of reading, and it seems global counters are not the
answer in XSLT. That being said I have a problem (normally solved by a
global counter) I need to solve. I'm building a TOC for an XML
document.
The best way is to offer xml structure and intended output.

XML:
<chapter>
    <para>
    </para>
    <para>
    </para>
    <image>
    </image>
    <para>
    </para>
    <image>
    </image>
    <para>
    <para>
</chapter>

Output (this output is a javascript array for an expandable TOC)
db[1]=new dbRecord(chapter stuff)
db[2]=new dbRecord(first para stuff)
db[3]=new dbRecord(second para stuff)
db[4]=new dbRecord(third para stuff)
db[5]=new dbRecord(fourth para stuff)
db[6]=new dbRecord(first image stuff)
db[7]=new dbRecord(second image stuff)
db[8]=new dbRecord(first table stuff)

What I want to do is output a chapter, all text in a chapter, then all
images for a chapter, and lastly all tables for a chapter.
This is done repetitively for each chapter.

For the text, calling a template that contains <xsl:number> would work.
I would get a sequential numbering in the db[] (which IS required,
db[number] where number is sequential 1 to N). But as you see the
figures and tables are interlaced in the XML, and not desired to be that
way in the TOC.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Robert Ogden