RE: [xsl] Lookup efficiency in XALAN?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Lookup efficiency in XALAN?
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:05:28 -0000
> I have to do some validation in my xsl.
>
> I'm doing the following type statement 20,000 times, and the
> lookup file is around 50,000  lines of  id's <id key="XXYYZZJ"/>.
>
> <xsl:when
> test="not(document('../master/ids-master.xml')/ids/id[@key=$id])">
>
> It works for a while, then dies with an out of memory error,
> and it sure is slow!
>

> Any ideas for a faster/reliable search?

Anything like this should be vastly improved by using keys. As Wendell
explained, it's a bit clumsy in XSLT 1.0 because you have to change the
context document to use a key; you may have to write something like:

<xsl:variable name="test">
<xsl:for-each select="document('../master/ids-master.xml')">
  <xsl:if test="key('k', $id)">true</xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:when test="$test='true'">

Having said that, I'm a little surprised at the "out of memory" error.
What you're doing seems expensive in time, but not in memory.

Michael Kay