Re: [xsl] stylesheet params and parsing a (MathML) string

Subject: Re: [xsl] stylesheet params and parsing a (MathML) string
From: Manolis Mavrikis <M.Mavrikis@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:16:51 +0000

David wrote:

but then you'd have to declare that namespace again to match on the
elemens so simpler is probably to put them all in no-namespace
xsl:element isn't needed if your element names are known in advance so
I'd use literal result elements and locally switch the default namespace so instead of

[...]

do

<xsl:variable name="tree" xmlns="">
<myTree id="{$param1}">
<xsl:value-of select="$param2"/>
</myTree>
</xsl:variable>

My elements are know in advance but for attribute values I was really using a function and I never thought of using:

<myTree id="substring-before($params,'|')">

which now works.

David, Thanks (once again) for your prompt,accurate and extremely useful reply

I still don't get it though. Out of curiosity shouldn't elements created with <xsl:element> be in the namespace of their conttainer ?

---

For the other part:

If $param2 is a string thaen as you say you'll need a parser.
some systems (eg saxon) provide extension functions to parse a string
(and in msxml you could easily write an jscript extension function to do
this) alternatively (and better in many cases) is to pass a node set
representing a parsed document in as the parameter then you can apply
templates directly to it and dont need nodeset() at all.

that seems a better solution ...

Yousualy you can't do this from a command line call but can do it if you
are calling xslt from any kind of script or API.

the stylesheet **will be called from a java.xml tranformer and xalan will process it. I 'll try do it later and I hoping that xalan will understand the node parameter... meanwhile if anyone has any advice (eg. what java object should I send?) it would be very useful.

Thanks again,

Manolis