[xsl] Editing tables, conditional blocks, alternatives in xsl-fo

Subject: [xsl] Editing tables, conditional blocks, alternatives in xsl-fo
From: "Skwirel Software Ltd" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:57:54 -0000
Hi,

I'm fairly new to xsl-fo and I'm trying to carry out manipulation of the fo
file, some of which I'm not even sure is possible in xsl (it may be possible
with xslt, but I have even less understanding of that than I do of xsl-fo).
Here's what I'm trying to do:

1.    I have an XML file which sets out data, conditions etc.

2.    The XML file may contain repeating data from a table.  I need to  find
the table in the fo file that the data relates to and insert the data in the
correct row and then iterate the relevant row for however many times there
is data for the particular fields.

2.    I need to be able to identify blocks of text - possibly containing
tables - that are to be repeated a specific number of times as specified in
the XML file.

3.    I need to be able to identify blocks of text etc in the fo file, which
are conditional ie they are only rendered if certain criteria are met a
specified in the XML.

4.    I need to be able to delete a specific row or column from a table
depending on whether conditions specified in the XML file are met or not.
If a column is deleted is it possible somehow to proportionately increase
the size of the remaining columns so that they absorb the deleted column's
width?

5.    Finally, how can you deal with the problem of gender alternatives in
the xsl-fo eg he/she, him/her.  Is there any simple way of setting out the a
series of alternative statements in the fo filw and then passing to the fo
file the required gender with the result that it will manipulate the
alternative statements as required?

Any help/pointers very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Williams