[xsl] counter in XSL - cant use xsl:number/postion with my problem

Subject: [xsl] counter in XSL - cant use xsl:number/postion with my problem
From: "Sebastian Fey" <fey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:25:07 +0100
hi,

i got something like the following problem:

[xsl:template name="foo"]
[xsl:apply-templates match="book" /]
[xsl:template name="book"]
[xsl:if test="this test doesnt depend on book.nodeValue but on the .xml book.nodeValue links to"]
[xsl:variable name="counter"]$counter+1[/xsl:variable]
[/xsl:if]

... my .xsl processes a .xml which links to several .xml (docbook-books).
the template matching book decides wether the current book fits the context and if so
puts its title in a fo:list (the book.xml is loaded by document() ).
problem:
unlike html fo doesnt increment list-labels automatically, so i have to quote the label explicit.
i cant use xsl:number or xsl:position cause the labels dont depend on the postion of the book nodes,
but on the kind of book.xml the book-nodes link to.

thx in advance,

sebastian