[xsl] Begginer question: Xalan XObjectPtr

Subject: [xsl] Begginer question: Xalan XObjectPtr
From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:13:41 -0500

>I am using xalan's xpath api, and i want to return a XObjectPtr from my
>function [...]
>I read somewhere that the XObjectPtr should not exist if the
XPathEvaluator
>doesn't exist anymore

I'd have to dig into the docs and/or code to confirm/refute that assertion,
but I wouldn't be shocked to find that we're reusing some data structures
fron one evaluation to the next. (If you want an official answer to that,
I'd suggest taking this to Xalan's own mailing list, since it's not really
a general XPath/XSLT question.)

Assuming for the moment that we *are* doing that reuse: if you need the
results to be persistant, the obvious solution would be write your function
to return something other than the XObjectPtr, and copy the data into that
before returning it. Or, if you don't want to change your API, to write
your own persistant implementation of XObjectPtr and copy the data into
that.