Re: [xsl] Generating XML fragment to DOM node using XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Generating XML fragment to DOM node using XSL
From: Steve Dussinger <sdussing@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:26:19 -0800
On 12/16/03 4:02 PM, "Josh Canfield" <josh.canfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe this does what you want, I've included the java source, the xml and
> xsl files... I used xalan-j_2.5.1. I found that passing an Element to the
> DOMResult constructor caused an error during the transform when there wasn't a
> single document node, using a DocumentFragment worked. This seems like a bug
> in xalan...
>
> Hope this helps,
> Josh
>
> ### test.java
>
> import java.io.*;
> import javax.xml.transform.*;
> import javax.xml.transform.stream.*;
> import javax.xml.transform.dom.*;
>
> import org.w3c.dom.*;
> import org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl;
> import org.apache.xml.serializer.*;
>
> public class test {
> static public void main(String[] args) {
> try {
> // Create xsl source
> StreamSource xslSource = new StreamSource(new File(args[0]));
> // Create xml source
> StreamSource xmlSource = new StreamSource(new File(args[1]));
>
> // Create transformer
> TransformerFactory tFactory = TransformerFactory.newInstance();
> /// output the xslt
> Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(xslSource);
>
> // Create document
> Document doc = new DocumentImpl();
> Element ui = doc.createElement("ui");
> Element listbox = doc.createElement("listbox");
> Element model = doc.createElement("model");
> doc.appendChild(ui);
> ui.appendChild(listbox);
> listbox.appendChild(model);
>
> // Fragment to hold transformation
> DocumentFragment frag = doc.createDocumentFragment();
>
> DOMResult dr = new DOMResult(frag);
> transformer.transform(xmlSource, dr);
>
> // append transformed frag into model element
> model.appendChild(frag);
>
> // Dump to System.out
> Transformer identity = tFactory.newTransformer();
> identity.setOutputProperty("indent","yes");
> identity.setOutputProperty("{http://xml.apache.org/xslt}indent-amount","4";);
> identity.transform(new DOMSource(doc), new StreamResult(System.out));
>
> } catch ( Exception e ) {
> e.printStackTrace();
> }
> }
> }
>
> ### xml.xml
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <addrList>
> <address>
> <name>One</name>
> <name>Two</name>
> <name>Three</name>
> <name>Four</name>
> </address>
> </addrList>
>
> ### xsl.xsl
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
> version="1.0">
> <xsl:output method="xml" indent="no"/>
> <xsl:template match="/">
> [...]

Thank you. This is precisely what I was looking for. I had the same problem
you did when trying to use an Element as the DOMResult, that's what
originally precipitated my posting.

The part I was missing was creating the DocumentFragment. It seems so simple
in hindsight.

I'm still of the opinion that this is a bug in Xalan. I'll post something to
BugZilla over the weekend...

Thanx again everyone...

--Steve