RE: [xsl] Re: stylesheet debug/dump

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: stylesheet debug/dump
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:46:31 -0000
Part of the aim of the integration with XML Schema in XSLT 2.0 is being
able to detect Xpath expressions and other constructs that are
inconsistent with the schema for the data. The idea is to enable static
checking through the type system that any path expression is capable of
producing results. It's a bit of an open question how far systems will
be able to do this in practice; I think the more draconian end of the
spectrum is likely to lead to too many errors reported against
constructs that are actually perfectly reasonable. But I think there's
quite a lot of potential for XSLT 2.0 processors to offer improved
diagnostics in this area, e.g. by providing users with control over the
level of warnings that are output.

Michael Kay

ml/2003/Holman01/EML2003
> > Holman01-toc.html