RE: [xsl] summing up incrementally

Subject: RE: [xsl] summing up incrementally
From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:46:04 -0800
> You may have read "a few" as meaning "1 or 2", but that's not what I
> wrote. I was suggesting the heuristic "if you've got a 64Mb machine
> don't try to process more than about 6Mb of source data."

I just wanted to point out that this is a really common source of
problems for people, and the heuristic depends on the scenario.  For
example, if you have a 500MB of RAM, and are transforming only a 1MB (on
disk) file inside a servlet, you are still going to be in big trouble
once you get a certain number of simultaneous connections against the
web server.  The main thing that people need to understand is that
resource consumption for the typical in-memory XML cache is much greater
than the size on disk of the XML.  That's where most people get into
trouble -- they prototype with small XML and few connections, and things
work fine.  But they never realize that their memory bloat is a factor
of 5x or 10x until the run out of memory.