RE: [xsl] weird character B , how to make it disappear?

Subject: RE: [xsl] weird character B , how to make it disappear?
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:23:25 -0000
> I'm trying to get a raquo character to appear, but I'm
> getting a  Â before it.
> How do I get rid of this   ??
>
> I've got the following for my xsl file at the top:
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='US-ASCII'?>
> <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
> 	<!ENTITY raquo 	"&#x000BB;">
> 	<!ENTITY sep 	" ">
> ]>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>
> 	<xsl:output method="html" encoding="US-ASCII"/>
>
> then when I want the raquo to appear, my usage is:
>
> &sep;&raquo;&sep;
>
> but thru the browser, I'm getting as output:
>
> »
>
> how do I make that  disappear?
> I've also tried to change the encoding to iso-8859-1,
> and the entity reference to &x187; but with no
> success.  any help greatly appreciated.

It appears that the output is being generated in UTF-8, despite what you
requested in the xsl:output. This might be because the XSLT processor
isn't actually doing the serializing: can you explain which XSLT
processor you are using and how you are invoking it?

The second problem is that although the output is in UTF-8, it isn't
being recognized as UTF-8 by the browser. Does the generated HTML
include a <meta> element defining the character encoding, and if so,
what does it say?

Michael Kay