Re: [xsl] referring to variables using variables?

Subject: Re: [xsl] referring to variables using variables?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:46:02 GMT
  I changed xmlns to another name but that didnt work and also tried david
  carlisle's suggestion for xalan but it said that namespace
  "http://exslt.org/common"; does not contain any functions......

I thought xalan did support exslt. If not, xalan has its own specific
extension namespace, but I don't have xalan to hand so you'll need to
check the xalan doc (or ask google which is probably easier)

  Also in the ouput, the statement xmlns:xx="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"
  is included in each <h1> tag as a paramter??

attribute (or namespace declaration) not parameter.
You can stop that by using the exclude-result-prefixes attribute on
xsl:stylesheet.

<xsl:variable name="nsindex" select="xx:node-set($index)/*"/>

Here you have used /* so the variable contains a node set consisting of
the element nodes HR Recruitment_and_Hiring New_Managers New_Starters
rather than the top level document node containing these elements as
children.

But then you have gone

$nsindex/*[

so you are looking (*) for element node children of the contents of
nsindex but there are none, as HR and friends only have text content.

You want either of

<xsl:variable name="nsindex" select="xx:node-set($index)"/>
$nsindex/*[

or

<xsl:variable name="nsindex" select="xx:node-set($index)/*"/>
$nsindex/self::*[

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew