Re: [xsl] escaping an accented character

Subject: Re: [xsl] escaping an accented character
From: Peter Hollingsworth <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:05:22 -0800
OK, sorry to be so dense, but your reference says the following:

We recommend that user agents adopt the following convention
for handling non-ASCII characters in such cases:
1. Represent each character in UTF-8 (see [RFC2279]) as one or more bytes.
2. Escape these bytes with the URI escaping mechanism (i.e., by converting
each byte to %HH, where HH is the hexadecimal notation of the byte value).

So following the instructions, I take the character for à, which according to everything I can find is 224. I convert this to hex, E0. Voila, the escaped value is %E0. Where do you get %C3%A0 out of this? Obviously the xsl parser agrees with you, but I don't see where the value is coming from.

Thanks.

--Peter