RE: [xsl] The real harm is in functions with side effects (Was: Re: Using Extension Functions - Its Efficiency)

Subject: RE: [xsl] The real harm is in functions with side effects (Was: Re: Using Extension Functions - Its Efficiency)
From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:34:36 -0800
> > Portability is not the main issue with using extension functions.
> >

> The portability of the message is the significance of XML.  The
> portability of stylesheets is often a secondary concern.  Local

True.  Another reason to use XSLT is because the functional approach is
superior for many transformation tasks.  I often find, however, that the
people who turn to extension functions are not necessarily people who
appreciate functional programming and thus I assume they must be using
XSLT for its portability (or hype-factor) rather than its elegance.
Obviously not *all* of the people looking for extension functions fit
into this category, but I'd bet a majority do.