Re: [xsl] Empty object

Subject: Re: [xsl] Empty object
From: scott gabelhart <swgabel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:06:34 -0500
Michael Kay wrote:

my mistake SAX has nothing to do with my problem...rather Xalan.

My input xml file contains empty elements that I need to carry the corresponding attribute values for each of these empty elements.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your English, could you explain it in XML?
As I asked before, what does your input look like, and what do you want
your output to look like?

Of course when my transform complete I am stuck with XHTML that contains my favorite NONbreaking Space character.

I don't understand the "Of course", I don't know why your output has NBSP characters, and I don't know why you want to get rid of them.

Need to have my XHTML output to contain

Is the input element empty, or does it contain a non-breaking space character? I am completely confused.

Attempting to include the string <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;amp;nbsp;</xsl:text> without much luck at the moment.

You said before that you didn't want NBSP characters, so why are you
writing code that's designed to generate them?

What is a best practice method for first determining if a element is empty; then replace that NONbreaking Space character with a character that will parse properly with Xalan?

If the element is empty then by definition it doesn't contain a non-breaking space character.

Non-breaking space characters are perfectly legal in XML and will not
cause Xalan any problems.

Michael Kay

Michael,

input xml file contains elements that are not empty but contain &nbsp;

<OBJECT>&nbsp;</OBJECT> This nonbreaking space character is needed to keep the space in this element.

When I run my transform the XHTML output contains <OBJECT>nbsp;</OBJECT> which of course is wrong. I need the final XHTML output to contain <OBJECT>&nbsp;</OBJECT>.

What do I need to add to my transform to assure that when my OBJECT element contains a nonbreaking space character ; my transformed XHTML output contains <OBJECT>&nbsp;</OBJECT>.

- Scott