RE: [xsl] Which commands to use: xsl:if, xsl:when, xsl:choose, xsl:otherwise ??

Subject: RE: [xsl] Which commands to use: xsl:if, xsl:when, xsl:choose, xsl:otherwise ??
From: Bill Walker <williamewalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:06:45 -0800 (PST)
Wow...I think your solution works...  now
I just have to plug it into the more involved
XSL page with the colors, navigation bar stuff etc.

Thank you very much...I will let you know if it
works in the more complicated page.  IT SHOULD!!!

thanks again...Bill Walker

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/xml_xsl_html_samples/bureau-labor-stats.xm

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/new_webroot/statistics/stat-openpg.htm

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/xml_xsl_html_samples/stat-openpg.xsl

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/xml_xsl_html_samples/stat-openpg.xml

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/new_webroot/statistics/stat-gensit.htm

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/xml_xsl_html_samples/stat-secondpage.xsl

http://www.stockton.lib.ca.us/xml_xsl_html_samples/stat-gensit.xml

> This all works pretty well and I COULD just go on
> and
> create an XML and an XSL file for each page.
>
> But I began thinking, "There must be a way using
> xsl:if or xsl:when or xsl:choose or xsl:otherwise to
> make it so I could have ONE and one only XSL file
> for
> the whole site.
>
> So I simplified an XML file to include what needs to
> be (or not be) on all pages which would look like
> this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>   <page>
>       <links>
>           <categories>
>               <category>Metaphysics</category>
>           </categories>
>
>           <database-links>
>
> <database-link>InfoTrac</database-link>
>           </database-links>
>
>           <website-links>
>                <website-link
> filename="bureau-labor-stats.xml" />
>           </website-links>
>        </links>
>     </page>
>

> The idea is that no matter whether I was generating
> an
> opening Subject screen or a page further in, all the
> info. I need should be in this XML file.
>
> What I cannot figure out is how to make XSL look at
> this XML file and process it sequentially.
>
> If it is an opening page, it will crank out the
> Categories, Databases and the Weblinks lists .
>
> If it is one page further in, it would have only
> web-links.  It would look the example below and,
> finding no Categories And no Databases, it would
> just
> list the Websites...
>
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>
>    <page>