Re: [xsl] XSLT vs Perl

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT vs Perl
From: Adam Turoff <ziggy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:37:31 -0500
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:56:59PM +0400, David Tolpin wrote:
> I have just finished reading the working draft for XSLT 2.0. Forgive me
> the crudeness: what are advantages of XSLT 2.0 over Perl (http://www.perl.org/)?

I gave up keeping track of XSLT 2.0 and it's five (or more) related
drafts (XPath 2.0, XQuery, WXS).  As I understand it, XSLT 2.0 is much
better at enforcing WXS constraints on the input and output.

I've never come across a situation where either of those features are
absolutely necessary, but I don't doubt that those use cases exist.

For the most part, I'm quite happy with XSLT 1.0, and the odd stylesheet
that requires a driver script around libxslt to add extension functions
(written in Perl, C, Python, whathaveyou).  That combination handles
99.999% of the problems I've come across.  (OK, that's a slight
exaggeration; I do still write/use the odd SAX handler. ;-)

Z.