RE: [xsl] Problem turning a xml string into a proper tree

Subject: RE: [xsl] Problem turning a xml string into a proper tree
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:48:09 -0000

> I have a template that  receives a parameter  that way:
>     <xsl:with-param name="paramString">
>         <params>
>             <param att="att1" name="name11">value1</param>
>             <param att="att2" name="name12">value2</param>

>           </params>
>     </xsl:with-param>
>
> What I'd like to is  to retrieve the value of  <xsl:value-of
> select="$paramString/param[n]/@name" />

To do that in XSLT 1.0 you need the node-set() extension:

select="xx:node-set($paramString)/param[n]/@name"

> What it more if i make <xsl:value-of select="$paramString"/>
>  it should
> return value1value2 but it returns
>         <params>
>             <param att="att1" name="name11">value1</param>
>             <param att="att2" name="name12">value2</param>

>           </params>
> this means xalan treats it as a string instead of a tree as
> I'd like to.

<xsl:value-of select="$paramString"/>

should indeed return the string "value1value2". I'm very surprised if it
returns a string containing angle brackets. You need to show us a
complete stylesheet that demonstrates the problem.

Michael Kay