RE: [xsl] Debugging XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Debugging XSLT
From: David Tolpin <dvd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:18:45 +0400 (AMT)
> From owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Wed Feb  4 16:26:23 2004
> From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [xsl] Debugging XSLT
> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:04:27 -0000
>
> > There are tools to analyze data in XSLT; they are XPath
> > predicates. They are enough to make assertions about a
> > program's input and output within the model of the language.
>
> produce valid XHTML? Since a schema for XHTML already exists, isn't it
> rather simpler just to refer to it?

Michael,

no. It is not. There is no such  thing as document type in XSLT except
for the validation kludge. I believe that it cannot be added to the
language as it has been done. Either a document type is  a part of the
language, and that would be very unfortunate to have XML Schema used
for that, with its errata exceeding in size the specification; or
it should not be done within the language.

How can I assert that the stylesheet produces a nice-looking XHTML?
Since browsers for XHTML already exist, isn't it rather simple
to just launch a browser from XSLT 2.0 stylesheet and just see
whether the result is nice?

Both of us realize that hte latter is nonsense.  I hope so.
But referring to  XML Schema from XSLT is exactly the same nonsense.

David Tolpin